The Book(s) I'm Currently Reading...

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



Thursday, October 17, 2013

Non- Fiction Reading Response


Banned Books 2010: An Anti- Censorship Manifesto By Ellen Hopkins
Pamela Williamson


The Ellen Hopkins’ article in the Huffington Post, “Banned Books Week 2010: An Anti- Censorship Manifesto,” tells of how Ellen Hopkins, author of young adult novels such as Crank, and Manifesto feels about her books being banned from many school libraries. Hopkins’ target audience, teens in middle and high school, rarely have the opportunity to meet her and read her books. This is because many of the events she is invited to (banned book discussions, school visits, etc.) end up disinviting her under the persuasion of upset parents and librarians. “I am more than a little saddened when my books are pulled from shelves, or even worse, when I am “dis-invited” from a speaking engagement.” The National Coalition Against Censorship says that removing an author from any event because of a disagreement in the ideas or content in the book is considered censorship, and Ellen Hopkins is one of the several authors who believes against censorship.
            Part of the reason why Ellen Hopkins believes that her books should be available to teenagers is the amount of people who’s lives they claim she has saved. Hopkins says that almost everywhere she goes to speak about her books, there is at least one person who stays behind to tell her how much she helped them: drug addicts, depressed teens, anyone who related to the misery her books portrayed. “Some call my books edgy; others say they're dark… But they bring young adult readers a middle-aged author's broader perspective. They show outcomes to choices, offer understanding.”
            I agree that censorship is the wrong way to deal with books that have a dark subject matter. Ellen Hopkins mentioned in her article that many of the librarians and parents that hope to ban books like hers haven’t even read her books, and if they know about the book, it is because they are only searching the book for profanity and inappropriate content. I understand that some parents don’t want their children to read certain books, but I don’t agree that should resolve in a banning of the book from the entire school library. If censorship is stopped, many readers will be able to discover, read, and learn what they can’t learn from themselves.


Read The Article I responded to here:
Banned Book Week 2010: An Anti-Censorship Manifesto

3 comments:

  1. Oye, bubala! I found this work of art extraordinary and loved how in the end you say that some of these teens who don't necessarily understand everything around them can turn to books to better understand themselves and their situation. I also liked how you said who the audience is in the 1st paragraph. You are making it clear, at least in my opinion, that middle schoolers aren't as innocent or ignorant as some parents may think. Well done Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela... this was a beautifully written piece that really got the point across! I love how your thinking was deep and you really got the point across!
    -Maya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey pamsicle, this reading response was great, you stated the thesis clearly and backed it up in a short simple way that was easy and enjoyable to read. I really feel like you are talking to the reader directly in a way that really makes you think about your point. Great job pam keep on writing, :)

    ReplyDelete