The Book(s) I'm Currently Reading...

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



Monday, October 7, 2013

Reading Response 1


Pamela Williamson 806

The reaction one has when they feel as if they have done something harmful and upsetting is often defined as guilt. Guilt is a feeling that comes around often in the book Hero by Perry Moore. The main character Thom, feels guilty for many things, and about many people. He has an unusual relationship with his father. They sometimes have sweet, fun moments together, but when they aren’t having fun, their relationship is strained and uncomfortable. This isn’t just because they are both shy; it is also because Thom is guilty that he is hiding secrets from his father. It makes him try to avoid his dad, and makes him ignore his father when he says that Thom can tell him anything. This guilt is also what will make him grow farther and farther from his dad, when he could get rid of his guilt and confess to his father!

One example of Thom’s secrecy is the biggest secret he hides from his dad: he’s gay.  Thom knows of a time his dad read with disgust an article about a lesbian in the newspaper, and Thom fears that he will get the same reaction if he tells his father about his homosexuality. I think that Thom was more afraid of his father’s reaction to his secret than of him actually finding out that he was gay. These worries about his father’s reaction made him feel guilty and uneasy. But soon, his father discovered his secret, and to Thom’s surprise, wasn’t upset or angry! Although he distanced himself from his son for a few days, soon he was back as Thom’s dad- and better than ever!

            I’ve never held a personal secret from a close family member or friend, so I can’t relate to Thom’s confusion and depression while he hid his secret, but I can understand the guilt he had. I think having guilt can take is form in one of two ways. There is a big difference between hiding secrets from your loved ones, and hiding secrets from people you don’t usually don’t confide in on a regular basis. Hiding things from both of these types of people results in guilt, but some guilt stronger than other situations. I think Thom is in the situation where he is hiding secrets from people that he doesn’t really share secrets with, because he doesn’t usually tell things to his dad. I understand hiding something from someone close to you, and the terrible guilt it can bring. Hiding something from a close relative or best friend, especially when what you’re hiding relates to them, can be hard, but making the right decision is usually up to you.
            Overall, by reading this book I’ve realized the importance of being confident when making decisions, and that being yourself is the best way to get rid of your guilt. I’ve decided that the way you control the situation makes you more or less guilty. You can confess to the person, or just deal with the secret with yourself so you don’t feel as bad. But in conclusion the best thing I’ve learned from Hero is that only you can reassure yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment