The Book(s) I'm Currently Reading...

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reading Response- Social Justice


As a reader, I am almost too often exposed to the upsetting things in our world. But as I grow older, it becomes more unusual to come across an uncomfortable issue, maybe because I am more aware of society and its views on every little controversy out there. And maybe there is a reason that young adult writers write about sensitive or disconcerting topics. Because as I read more and more, I become more inspired and knowledgable about what I have read about. This is why I think that authors are partly activists. Through their story telling, they raise awareness and educate readers about the matter they are writing about. I think this activism is important for not only young adult writers, but also readers too. There are many awful conditions in this world, but through fiction and non-fiction, readers can be helped.
The idea that authors are activists makes the job of an author seem difficult. However every great author is able to move and embolden their readers in a way that makes them think about that social controversy. Authors always try to inspire their audience, and raise awareness for that concern.  This makes authors simultaneously activists as well as authors because they aim to ignite the minds of their readers.
When readers become engaged in a rough or disturbing book, they can react in one of a few ways. The author hopes that the readers becomes galvanized or enriched by the message of the book. Another reaction might be if the topic applies to the reader's life and they discover answers to their problems. Even if the student is completely against the views described in the book, they may find opinion from the other side, which is why writing an argument essay requires some opposing evidence.

1 comment:

  1. Pamela,
    Thank you so much! You have really inspired me to become a more intent and serious reader. When you explain how reading has really broadened your mind and thoughts, you really become incentive and motivational to me. I'm not the fastest and most motivated reader but now, I want to become one! I really love how you can write something and do that to a reader! Also I really love the way you write! Its very thoughtful and sophisticated! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete